More than an online storage service, Google Drive becomes a computer backup service, with the launch of a “Backup & Sync” application for Mac and PC. Here is a tutorial.
What is Google’s backup and synchronization program?
Google launched in July 2017, with a little delay on the calendar , the application “Backup and Sync” for Windows and MacOS. It allows you to upload your photos and files to your Google Drive account for backup (crash, loss, theft) and view them from multiple devices.
It replaces the two existing synchronization applications, one dedicated to photos and the other to files. And unlike Dropbox , the new application allows you to import any folder on the computer, or even an entire hard drive, in the manner Backblaze or Crashplan.
if you want to learn more Tip & Trick you can Visit Androidehow
Google Drive Rate Rates
Google Drive is thus one of the few services, with SugarSync, to combine backup and synchronization. Under these conditions one quickly exceeds the 15 GB free of a Google account, it is necessary to subscribe a package of storage Google Drive:
|100 GB||2 € / month|
|1 TB||10 € / month|
|2 TB||20 € / month|
|10 TB||100 € / month|
|20 TB||200 € / month|
|30 TB||300 € / month|
How do I back up my computer on Google Drive?
Here’s how to back up and sync photos, videos, and all kinds of files from your computer to Google’s servers:
1. Download and install the “Backup and Sync” software from the Google Drive website
2. Sign in to your Google Account
3. Select the computer folders to “Backup Continuously” in Google Drive. The application automatically selects your desktop, your Documents folder, and your Images folder. You can add more folders or whole volumes. Unfortunately, at the time of writing, it is impossible to exclude subfolders from a folder.
4. Choose how to import your photos: By default, your photo library is imported to Google Drive, but not to Google Photos . You can check the corresponding box if you wish, and choose if your photos are imported in their original quality, in which case the space is deducted from your package, or if you want to recompress them and benefit from an unlimited free storage .
5. Click “Network Settings” if you want to limit the speed at which files are imported. We recommend ADSL subscribers to limit the upstream rate to 80% of their maximum throughput so that the connection is not saturated. Attention to conversions: 1 Mb / s is 125 kB / s, not 1000 KB / s (1 byte contains 8 bits).
6. Choose whether to synchronize the My Drive folder. This one still has the advantage of allowing to synchronize the same folder on several devices . Unfortunately, it is impossible to connect the “Documents” folder of your desktop computer to the “Documents” folder of your laptop, as suggested by iCloud or SugarSync.
7. Click “Start”. The application resides in the taskbar. It allows you to view the imports’ progress, the storage space used, and open the Google Drive folder on the computer, Google Drive on the web, or Google Photos on the web .
After a few hours or days, depending on the amount of data to be backed up and the data transmission rate of your Internet connection, your data will be accessible from any device, using the new “computers” subfolders in Google apps Drive on the web, on smartphone and on tablet.